Monday, July 18, 2005

 

Heart Rate Training

Darren and I talked today about his concern that he hits a brick wall at 2 miles running at his current pace. I had the same problem when Collier and I initially started running. It was right around 2 miles that I would start to really feel the fatigue to the point that it was tough to even finish the 3 mile course I was training for.

I got a heart monitor and followed the advice from a site like this one (link). Basically I stopped worrying about how fast I was running and focused on keeping my heart rate around 75%. It didn't take long before I could go much farther and could then start to work on building speed. To build speed I do interval runs were I will go at 70-75% for 5-10 minutes then 1-2 minutes at 90% and repeat that cycle for 30-40 minutes. Again it didn't take long to see real results.

The Heart Rate Monitor really helped me improve and go farther. I have a Timex Ironman right now which works very well but I am looking at upgrading to the Garmin 301 Forerunner (link) because it adds the GPS capability as well.

Comments:
Thanks for the links, Chris!
 
Blah, stupid enter button...
anyways, thanks for the links.

I had found that HR site once before and it is really useful for explaining the zones. I had got it into my head 65%-75% was my target zone to be in from another site (I forget where now) but I found it was a bit too easy at that pace and I stepped it up naturally to 75%, I now average about 160bpm on my runs. I'll go up to 170bpm every so often just depending on a variety of factors (I have soley done trail running pretty much to date, so it's hard to isolate specific variances and why on such a random running terrain.)

I also have run a few times up at almost 95% (184) for the last minute or two of my run just to try and push it to see if I can do it.

But I'm still confused how you came to the conclusion of interval running and how to time such intervals, etc? I didn't see anything obvious in your links to explain your 5-10/1-2 timing...
 
Hal Higdon owns btw. For the run/walk days he says to "Run until you begin to feel fatigued" What is "fatigued"? I don't feel really what I'd call fatigued while running until I've ran for at least 10 minutes, but does he mean even when you just feel a bit of strain? Or when you feel like you'd have to start convincing yourself to continue on any further? Or when you feel like you know you are now going to officially hurt tomorrow? Is there some science to the word "fatigued"?
 
I posted some stuff about lactose threshold for the science side and logisticts of training but I think in general I would call it fatigue when maintaining your current pace is requiring an increase in your heart rate. It takes a while to get used to the 'feel' of what your pace is so that you can compare it to your heart rate which is why when I started out I mapped my usual 3 mile course in .5 mile increments and carefully watched the splits. When I first started out and was running too fast (not training efficiently) I would start to feel fatigue around 17 minutes and be in pretty bad shape by around 23 minutes.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?