Tuesday, August 09, 2005

 

How many calories are you really burning?

Caloric Burn Discussion on Running vs. Walking from Runners World

The above article discusses the "physics-al" difference between running and walking, and why they burn different amounts of energy to travel the same distance. Excerpted from the bottom of the article:



What's the Burn? A Calorie Calculator

You can use the formulas below to determine your calorie-burn while running and walking. The "Net Calorie Burn" measures calories burned, minus basal metabolism. Scientists consider this the best way to evaluate the actual calorie-burn of any exercise. The walking formulas apply to speeds of 3 to 4 mph. At 5 mph and faster, walking burns more calories than running.

Adapted from "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, Cameron et al, Dec. 2004.

Comments:
So part of the reason I post this is because running has a specific purpose for me, namely: "To get not fat."

Unlike others of an obsessive compulsive nature, I just need to be more healthy, GPS and running tights be damned.
 
Not to put to fine a point on this, but:

If I get to the point where I can run 12 miles every day, I can have a 44 ounce chocolate shake ..... every day.
 
I think I have been away too long. I am incredulous that such a thing as '44 oz. shake' even exists.
 
Yeah, since you were away it became our national drink.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?