Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

Training Plans

It looks like the 'team' is Allen, Julio, Chris, Dan and Kerri (apologies for the spelling, too many ways to spell that and I am sure I got it wrong). Our JV team is Aliena and Gerhard who are going to be training too but will probably be doing slightly less distance. Good luck to all.

Obviously I was kidding earlier about competition but from past experience I would strongly recommend setting a personal goal for the race. If you are new to running you probably want to wait until we get a bit deeper in before you can make a guess at what you are capable of. Everyone has different motivation but I have always found that having something tangible both motivates me and helps gauge progress.

I think everyone now has access to make posts so feel free to use the site to keep notes on your progress, share ideas, ask questions etc.

I am going to be following Hal's (see link on the left) plan for the most part and gonna shoot to complete 85% of the weekday runs (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) and 100% of the Sunday runs (though I might move it occasionally to Saturday due to vacations/drunken excess etc.). I doubt I will be doing much on the Saturdays unless I can find a place to swim.

The wrinkle I will add is that Thursday will be the 'tempo run' day. Meaning 20% warm up and 20% cool down (HR < 150) and the rest building steadily up to a HR = 180 about 2/3 of the way. For a 4m day this would be .8m warm up, steadily build to HR = 180 by about the 2.4 mark, cruising back down to the 3.2m mark and the last .8m to cool down.

Interested to see what others are doing.

Comments:
I would prefer to be on the "IR" than the JV team.
 
I did set a personal goal, complete the 1/2 marathon... Honestly I haven't done ANY exercise for over 7 years now. This is the first. And it's something I've never done before and something that statistically speaking is something I shouldn't be able to do. :) So if I complete it I will honestly be impressed with myself. Even if it's at a 15min/mile pace. No kidding.

My plan for working with Hal's training is to basically work on distance only and use pace only as a measurement of improvement. No specific pace in mind, just to monitor it to see if it naturally improves itself without my aiming for something in particular.

I do want to integrate Dan's usage of interval running. (Run at 65-75% for like 4 mins, Run at 80-85% for 3 mins, then walk for 30secs-1min then repeat) However I need to spend some time and find a different HRM that has at least lap capabilities to help me track that. But I really like the idea of being able to walk periodically to enjoy my desert trail runs a bit more. This all will depend on how the training goes. If I feel good about the distance I'll play with the interval technique more.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?